Monday, January 23, 2012

Week 4, Day 2 - Cookies, Finally!

Yes, after days of longing, I finally made cookies!  But wait, I was a good girl and ate my dinner before dessert. So let's talk about that first.

If you will recall, not even two weeks ago I made and nearly cried over my first-ever galette.  Cried, that is, because it was so good.  I managed to let an entire week pass by without making one, but could hold off no longer. Tonight's galette was filled with butternut squash, carmelized onion, and fontina cheese (which I bought for the first time this morning).  I'm feeling like a broken record here - it was delicious.  This particular galette was more filling than the first, but I will say that the crust did not quite live up to the previous crust.  The butternut squash galette was one of Deb's earlier galette recipes while the zucchini ricotta galette was posted years later.  In that time, she nixed a few things from the recipe, made the process a bit easier, and brilliantly added the egg white wash.  I will use that recipe every time I make a galette from now on.  Speaking of making more galettes, when my husband heard we were having another one so soon, he asked how many galette recipes Smitten Kitchen had (assuming there must be many).  Sadly, this is number 2 of 4 savory galette options.  Not that I can't repeat a recipe, but it's a little silly when I have so many other things to get cooking.  So Deb, if you're reading this, I strongly encourage you to make another.  If I'm correct, you haven't added a new one since 2010.  It's time. 



Alright, now those cookies.  Chocolate chips nestled inside a chocolate cookie.  Soft and gooey - the type of cookie that won't make it til tomorrow (at least not in this house).  Truth be told, I did cut the recipe down by 75%.  Sadly my 9 count recipe resulted only in 7 cookies, but that's probably a good thing in the end.  Because aside from the one my son ate and the whopping zero my husband will eat (ah to have his discipline), I will no doubt have my fair share of chocolate cookies.  The fridge and cut process of making them wasn't something I would normally opt for, but even after rushing them along via the freezer, they still turned out beautifully.



1/23
- Butternut Squash and Carmelized Onion Galette
- In Which World Peach Eludes Me (chocolate chocolate chip cookies)

No comments:

Post a Comment