Monday, January 30, 2012

Week 5, Day 2 - Southern Cooking

Weather reports are predicting the next couple of days to be nearly in the 60's.  I would never complain about such lack of sincere Jersey winter weather.  However, it has put a twist on my plan to cook most of the winter food in the Smitten Kitchen.  I mean, who wants to eat a hot bowl of chili when you feel compelled to wear nothing heavier than a light sweater?

Fortunately for this week's menu, today was a typical winter day so we felt no remorse warming up to some chili and cornbread.  What my husband affectionately referred to as "southern food".  He went crazy over the thought of having cornbread with dinner, which goes to show that I have never made cornbread for us before.  Selfishly because I don't like cornbread.  Well, I didn't like cornbread, until tonight that is.  Of course I cook Smitten Kitchen's cornbread and suddenly I can't remember how many pieces I've had.  Honestly, it had a lot to do with it's partnering up with the chili.  I didn't care for it much on it's own.  But slathered in butter or sopping in chili - albeit cheating - worth the happiness it brought to the hubby.


The chili was a bean chili, which I especially appreciate as I don't always feel up for defrosting and cooking meat.  I've made vegetarian chili before and my recipe wasn't far off from this one.  Nothing that blew me away, but on this last day of winter weather for a little bit, it hit the spot.

1/30
- Deb's Three-Bean Chili
- Cornbread with Cheddar, Jalepeno, and Green Onions

No comments:

Post a Comment