Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Week 4, Day 3 - Italian Sausage, Take One

The last time my husband placed our food order from the farm, he ordered me a pound of sweet Italian sausage.  Wonderful, until we got home and realized he forgot to type the word "links" in the order, so we had been presented with a pound of ground sausage.  Knowing it was waiting for me in the freezer, I went on a hunt and managed to find two sausage-containing recipes that call for breaking up the links.  Perfect.


So, tonight was round one of sausage dinners.  Let me start out by saying that before I started this project I would have thought myself a decent cook.  Not afraid to try new things, open-minded, experimental.  Ugh - apparently not true.  Because tonight, I made risotto for the first time.  Seriously, poached eggs, galettes, risottos - what else have I not made?  Anyway, I'm very familiar with what a risotto is, but I never made one before because rice has never been a favorite of mine minus that which is swimming in soy sauce or served within my mom's stir fry.  I learned, though, that you can hardly refer to risotto as a rice dish since it is swamped with other things - in this case tomato, sausage, onion, spinach, parmesan.  It was horrible...complete lie.  I just wanted to type some different for once.  In an attempt to avoid redundancy, let me refer to my thesaurus here.  This dish was ambrosial.  How's that for a new one?  Actually, that word more refers to the wonderful smell it emitted, but let me just tell you about that smell.  The dish had white wine in it (Ah - another new one for me!  I never cook with alcohol cause we never have it in the house.  Please don't hold this against me Deb.)  Two minutes after I added it to the dish, my husband walked in the house and exclaimed "Something smells good!"  To which I replied "It's the wine!"  Gracious what a difference it made in flavor, too!  I'm overjoyed that there are several servings leftover for the next couple days.



After dinner, it dawned on me that I had only made one recipe for the day.  That just wouldn't do.  So I scanned the eternal list of cakes and managed to find one in which I had all ingredients on hand.  Chocolate muffin/cupcake darlings that - get this - Deb says you can eat with breakfast.  Another reason for my children to love me?  Yes please.

1/24
- Tomato and Sausage Risotto
- Chocolate Yogurt Snack Cakes

No comments:

Post a Comment