Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Week 5, Day 3 - More Please!

Oh my goodness, as I write about tonight's dinner all I can think of is how badly I wish we were still eating it.  One of those meals in which you don't even want something sweet to follow it up because you want the taste of dinner to linger as long as possible in your mouth.  Nothing super fancy - not by a long shot - but flavorful beyond measure.



First, we start with the chicken.  Deb actually only recently posted this recipe - I mean, possibly last week if I can recall correctly - but it sounded so simply wonderful I wanted to take it on right away.  I only started marinating it this morning, though Deb suggests doing so anywhere from 24 to 48 hours in advance, but I don't know the chicken suffered for it (probably because I don't know what I'm missing from the longer marinade).  A buttermilk, garlic, paprika mixture that came together in seconds and brought plain chicken legs to a level of deliciousness I was hoping for.  I made six legs, thinking 3 for the husband, 2 for me, and 1 for the kids if I could get them to eat it.  If?  Heh - I couldn't get them to stop eating it.  When they had finished one and half my second one I selfishly cut them off.  A girl's gotta eat, too.

No worries because I made a green bean salad on the side that also had my older son asking for more.  Seriously, a two year old saying "Mmmmm" is the best compliment any food dish can receive.  This side dish is one that, had it not been for this project of insanity, I probably would have never tried.  Never a fan of green beans and really what is fennel?  But yet again - the beauty of forcing yourself to make and eat things you normally wouldn't.

I have some desserts planned for this week - so stick with me through this dinner exclusivity for a bit.  I promise things will get sweeter (oh the pun...).

1/31
- Buttermilk Roast Chicken
- Green Bean Salad with Fried Almonds

No comments:

Post a Comment